Be careful when you are reading journalism on scientific topics... here's a great dissection from Mark Bittman on the pitfalls. Remember that great quote from Mark Twain - There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics.
This cold weather makes stew sound good... try this Beef Tagine, which is a Moroccan Style Beef Stew from fastPaleo.com:
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1 tbsp each ground cinnamon, turmeric, paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne powder or more to taste
- 5 tbsp olive oil/butter/ghee (I don't measure - just pour!)
- 2 large onions diced; 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 large carrots chopped; 1 large sweet potato diced
- 1/2 cup raisins; 1 cup strained tomatoes; 1/2 cup beef broth/stock
- juice of 1 lemon; 2 cinnamon sticks; salt to taste
- Optional toppings: grated lemon rind, ½ cup chopped almonds, cilantro chopped
- Crush and mix the spices together, sprinkle over the meat and mix well. Let sit. Heat half the oil/butter in a large pot and brown the onions on a low heat for 15 minutes. Add the garlic and the ginger and continue browning another 5 minutes until the onions caramelise a little. Remove from heat and add to crockpot. Brown the meat in the remaining hot oil, in two batches. Also add to crockpot. Add strained tomatoes and stock to the pot and bring to a boil scraping the bottom. Add the tomato liquid to the crockpot. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir well. Set your crockpot on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 4 hours) checking and stirring occasionally. Serve on cauliflower rice. Sprinkle optional toppings before serving.
MobilityWOD Episode 42: